Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Good deed for the year!

So I was talked into doing something yesterday that I must admit I was a little hesitant. The state of Washington puts on an community event every year to assist family's in need with school supplies and what not. Having a sister in law who helps organize this event every year, I was asked if I would be willing to donate my time and do hair cuts on children at this event. FIRST OF ALL!! I really don't LOVE doing hair cuts on kids. I only do a few, mostly over the age of 10, and they few that are younger, I let them know that if they move I will accidentally cut their ear!! Needless to say, I don't love cutting kids hair. Second, it was on a Tuesday which would mean that I would be taking half the day off of work. And lastly, they only had like 6 stylists last year and they did like 100 people...in three hours! So, reluctantly I agreed AS LONG as I didn't have to move anyone on my books! Feeling pretty confident that I would most likely be full, hence my evenings go quick....to my surprise I WASN'T!! I was just booked till 1pm, perfect timing to make it to the event! Someone really wanted me to participate....UGH! So I said yes. Yesterday comes, I work my half a day then get all my stuff together, not knowing exactly what to bring. I head off to the Marshall center starting to feel a bit nervous! I had no idea what to expect, and not to be rude at all I didn't want to have to deal with any lice or anything like that. Then I hear that 3 stylists wern't going to come...OH NO! more for the ones that show up (Which was only me at that point!) by the time it started people were lined up FOREVER!! I was so nervous....and luckily 5 other stylists showed up, way to be punctual ladies (that's why stylists have such a bad wrap... :) ), and the cutting began. My first girl was about 8, had long REALLY think beautiful red hair, which hadn't seen a brush in quite a while. I felt horrible because it took forever to just brush out all the tangles which I know she wasn't enjoying. I told mom to equipped her with a comb in the shower so when there is conditioner she could comb through it....THEN IT WOULDN'T DREAD!! It was all a bit of a blur after that. One little boy, about 8 or so was quite a kick in the side, just a chatter box...and one comment that was made hit me from the out field, he said "your real pretty lady!" Shocked I laughed...then said thank you. He got pretty quiet after that and the stylist next to me was laughing for quite a while, it was rather funny. I did probably 15 or 20 cuts, and yes there was about 3 a-line bobs in there...best hair cut those little girls will get in a long time! All in all, it wasn't bad. I felt so bad for some of the children...you could tell life wasn't just peachy for all of them. One little girl told her friend that she was glad they had food here because she hadn't eaten since yesterday morning because there was no food in the house...she was about 5 or 6. There were quite a few parents who were on drugs too, you could tell. WOW! I am so grateful for my life and great family support I have. I just wanted to load up so many of these kids and take them home with me! It was quite an amazing experience and I will most defiantly do it again next year....were do I sign up??

No comments: